How to Setup a VPN on Windows 10
This article will walk you through the process of how to setup a VPN on Windows 10. This article also includes instructions on how to prevent DNS leaks in Windows 10 as well as how to disable IPv6.
- Download and install the latest version of OpenVPN Installer for Windows from https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html
- Open OpenVPN GUI
- Download the config file for the server you want to connect to from https://macsentry.com/howto/servers.html
- Right click on the OpenVPN icon on the bottom right in your task bar and select "Import file ..."
- Select the config you downloaded
Right click on the OpenVPN icon on the bottom right of your task bar and select "Connect" next to the server you want to connect to.
Pro Tip : You can download all the OVPN config files in a zip file at the bottom of the server list so you can import them all at once into OpenVPN.
Prevent DNS Leaks (Optional) (Strongly Recommended)
- Right click on the OpenVPN icon on the bottom right in your task bar and select "Edit Config" next to the config you imported.
- On a new line add "--block-outside-dns" (without quotes) and save the file
- Disconnect and reconnect to the VPN
Disable IPv6 (Optional)
- Download and Run the Automatic "Disable IPv6" tool from Microsoft ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/how-to-disable-ipv6-or-its-components-in-windows ) and follow the on-screen steps.
« Back to Setup Guide