How to Setup a VPN on Windows 7
This article will walk you through the process of how to setup a VPN on Windows 10. This article also includes instructions on how to prevent DNS leaks in Windows 10 as well as how to disable IPv6.
- MacSentry VPN for Windows
- Manually configuring OpenVPN on Windows
MacSentry VPN for Windows
- Download MacSentry VPN for Windows
- Once the download is complete double-click and install MacSentry VPN
- Run MacSentry VPN
- Enter your VPN Username and Password and select the server you wish to connect to
- Click Connect
You are now connected to the VPN. Click the MacSentry icon in your menubar to minimize or restore MacSentry.
Manually configuring OpenVPN on Windows
- Download and install the latest version of OpenVPN Installer for Windows from https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html
- Open OpenVPN GUI
- Download the config file for the server you want to connect to from https://macsentry.com/howto/servers.html
- Right click on the OpenVPN icon on the bottom right in your task bar and select "Import file ..."
- Select the config you downloaded
Right click on the OpenVPN icon on the bottom right of your task bar and select "Connect" next to the server you want to connect to.
Prevent DNS Leaks (Optional) (Strongly Recommended)
- Right click on the OpenVPN icon on the bottom right in your task bar and select "Edit Config" next to the config you imported.
- On a new line add "--block-outside-dns" (without quotes) and save the file
- Disconnect and reconnect to the VPN
Disable IPv6 (Optional)
- Download and Run the Automatic "Disable IPv6" tool from Microsoft ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/how-to-disable-ipv6-or-its-components-in-windows ) and follow the on-screen steps.
« Back to Setup Guide